The award was established in 1988 in honor of former Scott County Sheriff John Dennis. Dennis served his county for 24 years and, in 1963, was elected president of the Missouri Sheriffs' Association. In 1976 Dennis retired from the office of sheriff following a successful campaign for the Missouri Senate seat in District 27, a position he held until his retirement from state government 1992.
In 1988, Dennis was presented a Distinguished Service Award at which time the establishment of the John Dennis Scholarship Fund was announced. Since that time, the award has been given to Missouri students pursuing careers in the criminal justice field.
- The John Dennis Scholarship is in the amount of one thousand dollars
- Will be presented to sixteen college-bound Missouri high school seniors who intend to pursue a criminal justice career and will be attending a Missouri college or university
- Applicants must be in good standing with his/her school
- Applicants must have a good reference from his/her school counselor
- Applicants need to demonstrate financial need
- Applicants are required to have a 2.0 GPA or greater
- Applicants should be active in extra-curricular activities
- A paragraph must be attached to the application detailing his/her goals ten years after high school graduation.
Download the 2014 Application Form (Due January 31, 2014)