AP FILE – This Aug. 15, 2017, file photo shows an arrangement of pills of the opioid oxycodone-acetaminophen, also known as Percocet, in New York. Callaway County has joined an agreement with other counties across the country to pursue litigation against opioid manufacturers and distributors
Saturday is the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency’s National Prescription Drug Take Back Day, and several Mid-Missouri law enforcement agencies will hold events to safely collect unused and unwanted prescription drugs.
Six million Americans misused controlled prescription drugs, according to the 2017 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, and a majority of abused prescription drugs were obtained from family and friends, often from the home medicine cabinet, the DEA notes on its website.
The following local law enforcement agencies will collect prescription drugs from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday:
- Jefferson City Police Department, 401 Monroe St. in Jefferson City.
- Linn Police Department, collecting at Linn City Hall, 1200 E. Main St. in Linn.
- Holts Summit Police Department, collecting in the Holts Summit City Hall parking lot, 245 S. Summit Drive in Holts Summit.
- Callaway County Sheriff’s Office, collecting at Callaway 2 Water District, 2610 Westminster Ave. in Fulton.
- Fulton Police Department and Fulton Fire Department, collecting prescription drugs and household hazardous waste at Fulton Fire Station No. 1, 151 Tennyson Road in Fulton.
- Auxvasse Police Department, collecting at Grand Prairie Baptist Church, 108 N. Main St. in Auxvasse.
- Boone County Sheriff’s Department, collecting at the Ashland Police Department, 601 E. Broadway in Ashland; the University of Missouri-Columbia; the Harry S. Truman VA Hospital, 800 Hospital Drive in Columbia; Hickman High School, 1104 N. Providence Road in Columbia; and Rock Bridge High School, 4303 S. Providence Road in Columbia.
- California Police Department, 500 S. Oak St. in California.
- Laurie Police Department, 147 S. Main St. in Laurie.
MSA EDITOR’S NOTE: Sheriffs – if you would like to add your agency to this list, email the information to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.